Tuesday, November 28, 2006

All the Flavor in the World

I love food, the flavors, the aromas and the textures. I love to cook, for myself and for dear friends. How do I share that online? Why, with a blog of course! This blog will be dedicated to all that I love, all that I enjoy about cooking, eating and drinking. I may throw in a book review or two, maybe now and then mention a movie. But mostly, this will be about food.

In my 30+ years over a stove, I have purchased, prepared, eaten, researched, and revered a multitude of gorgeous foods. My cookbook collection is too large (yes, there is such a thing, but I'll continue acquiring more anyway). My cabinets are too full of cooking utensils, pot and pans and herbs, spices, etc. My kitchen and pantry burst with flavors and gear. I can contain it no longer. It yearns to be free. So here is the beginning.

I went grocery shopping last night at the ridiculous hour of 11pm. I spent too much, but I have recently begun cooking for one and had a little extra cash this week. I indulged. I found a glamorous little pork tenderloin at a reasonable price and some fresh snow peas. Since I work nights I prepare my dinners in the morning before I leave. This morning as I was scrambling some eggs, I also prepared the pork tenderloin. It was 1lb, so enough for 2 dinners. I wanted something simple and delicious. I tend to make things up as I go along, so none of the measurements are set in stone, just suggestions. I like pork best with the sweeter Provence style herbs so leaned in that direction. Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp savory
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 lb pork tenderloin

Mix the herbs and salt thoroughly. Coat the tenderloin with it. The loin is a small enough portion to fit into an 8 inch skillet. Put the skillet into a 400F oven for about 30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 145F to 150F. Remove from the oven and let rest.

Because of the amount of salt coating the loin, the pan juices were not suitable for a sauce but the loin was juicy enough not to need any kind of gravy. I paired it with the crisp, steamed snow peas that I seasoned with a little unsalted butter and a sprinkle of the herb/salt mix from the loin. Delicious!

This is the first of many. Adapt it to your taste, make it your own. I hope you enjoy.

Happy phooding!

1 comment:

Stavra said...

Karin, It's wonderful. I can't wait to read more!